Combined Defence Services (CDS) exam is conducted every year two times. Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conduct Combined Defence Services (CDS ) examination for providing admission to candidates in Indian Naval Academy, Officers’ Training Academy, Air Force Academy and Indian Military Academy.
This year CDS 1 Online Application Form filling procedure will be started from 8th November 2017 whereas CDS -2 2018 Application Form will be available from 8th August 2018. Interested candidates must go through the important details regarding CDS 2018 online Application Form and start applying for it after the release of application form.
CDS 2018 Important Dates- Released
|Events||Schedule for CDS 1||Schedule for CDS 2|
|Official notice will be announced on||8th November 2017||8th August 2018|
|Online application process will commence from||8th November 2017||8th August 2018|
|Closing date for the receipt of application form||4th December 2017||3rd September 2018|
|Admit card will be issued on||January- February 2018||18th November 2018|
|Date of written entrance exam||4th February 2018||November 2018|
|Result will be announced on||May 2018||January 2019|
IMPORTANT POINTS REGARDING APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION PROCESS
CDS 2018 Application Form will be available from the second week of November 2017. Candidates who are interested to appear for the entrance examination which will be held in the month of February 2018 must apply for the exam.
- The registration and application process will be conducted only through the online mode.
- Aspirants must go through the information brochure uploaded on the official website www.upsc.gov.in to know the eligibility criteria and other updates.
- Candidates will be required to register for the exam by filling up general details.
- Once registered, aspirants can fill up CDS 2018 application form by providing personal details, information about academic qualification and uploading the necessary documents.
- Aspirants must pay the requisite fees of INR 200 for the successful submission of the form.
- The form must be completely filled in every sense.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF FILLING APPLICATION FORM
- All the qualification details of the candidates required at the time of Registration
- Scanned Clear Photograph on a white background.
- Scanned clear Signature on a white background.
- Valid Email Id for all official communications. The email Id which must be active for next 6 months
- Valid Mobile number for communication through SMS
- Valid debit/credit card (in case of online payment)
- 3 copies of bank challan (in case of offline payment)
How to Apply For Application Form for CDS 2018
- UPSC will be made the CDS 1 & CDS 2 Application Form available for the aspirants on 8th November 2017 and 8th August 2018.
- The Application Form will be available in two parts i.e. part I and part 2.
- Candidates can apply online only by visiting the official website of conducting authority i.e. www.upsc.gov.in.
- No Application Form will be accepted by UPSC through any other mode except online.
- Candidates are needed to pay Rs 200/ (General/OBC Candidates) as necessary CDS 2018 Application Fees either through net banking or via Cash mode.
CDS 2018 APPLICATION FEE
Aspirants can pay the application fees for CDS 2018 exam by cash, card or net banking. The process for rendering fees via each method is given below:
- Pay by Cash- On selecting this option, a system generated bank challan of State Bank of India will appear on the screen. Applicants must print out this challan and submit the requisite fees by cash at any branch of the bank. They must save the student copy of the challan as proof of payment.
- Pay by Debit/ Credit Card or Net banking- Aspirants can pay the fees through Debit/Credit card or through the Net Banking facility of State Bank of India/ State Bank of Patiala/ State Bank of Travancore/ State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur/ State Bank of Hyderabad/ State Bank of Mysore. They must enter the required payment details on the bank page and save the receipt of transaction.
CDS 2018 Application Fees for various Categories are:
|General (Male Candidates)||200|
CDS 2018 ELIGIBILTY CRITERIA
The eligibility criterion for CDS 2018 is as laid down by UPSC. Applicants must ensure that they meet the eligibility requirements before applying for the entrance exam. The various criteria for appearing in the exam are as stated below:
Applicants that are eligible should be either-
- a Citizen of India,
- a subject of Bhutan,
- a subject of Nepal,
- a Tibetan refugee who came to India before the January 1, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in the country, or
- an Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Ethiopia, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire or Vietnam with the intention of settling down in India permanently.
Age criteria for different institutions is as given below-
|Indian Military Academy||18-23 Years|
|Naval Academy||18-23 Years|
|Air Force Academy||20-24 Years|
|Officers’ Training Academy||18-24 Years|
- IMA: Unmarried male candidates are eligible to apply who are born not later than January 2, 1994 and not after January 1, 1999.
- Indian Naval Academy: Only Unmarried male candidates born before January 2, 1994 and January 1, 1999 can apply.
- Air Force Academy: Male Candidates should be born between January 2, 1994 and January 1, 1998. For applicants having a valid and current Commercial Pilot License issued by DGCA, India, the upper age limit is relaxed upto 26 years. These candidates should be born between January 2, 1992 and January 1, 1998. Applicants must be unmarried if they are below 25 years of age while married applicants above 25 years of age are also eligible to apply.
- Officer’s Training Academy (SSC Course for Men): Married or Unmarried candidates should be born between January 2, 1993 and January 1, 1999 in order to be eligible for this course.
- Officer’s Training Academy (SSC Women Non-Technical course): Unmarried women, widows who have not remarried and divorcees who have not remarried can apply only for this course. Aspirant should be born between January 2, 1993 and January 1, 1999
Academic qualifications for various institutions are-
- I.M.A. and Officers’ Training Academy— Degree from a recognized University or equivalent.
- Indian Naval Academy—Degree in Engineering from a recognized University/ Institution.
- Air Force Academy—Degree of a recognized University (with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engineering.
- Aspirants who have professional and technical qualifications that are recognized by government as equivalent degrees are also eligible.
- Candidates who are appearing for the qualifying exam of a Degree course can also apply provided they do not have any present backlog upto the last semester and can submit required documents at the time of admission.
CDS 2018 EXAM PATTERN
- Combined Defence Services (CDS) Examination is conducted for recruitment to Permanent Commissioned Service in Indian Military, Indian Naval and Indian Airforce and Officers Training Academy (OTA).
- CDS is conducted twice every year once in the month of February and second in October.
- CDS Exam Pattern for Military, Naval and Air Force is similar i.e. the exam has 3 papers. Whereas, for exam pattern is different for OTA, as the exam has only 2 papers.
- The duration of CDS 2017 entrance exam is 2 hours per paper.
- Elementary Mathematics paper is not for candidates appearing for OTA.
- There are 120 questions from each English & GK paper are asked.
- A total of 100 questions is asked in Elementary Mathematics paper.
- Every paper of CDS 2017 carries 100 marks.
- CDS 2017 exam has a provision of negative marking. For every wrong marked answer, 1/3 of the marks allotted is deducted.
CDS 2018 SYLLABUS
- English Syllabus: English section tests the candidates’ understanding of English language. The English paper consists of 100 marks and it is an objective test. This section comprises basic grammar, spotting errors, sentence improvement, word substitution, comprehension, ordering of sentences, antonyms, synonyms, marking the correct sentence among the wrong choices and alike.
- General Knowledge Syllabus: General Knowledge paper of CDS consists questions based on current affairs, History of India, Geography, Science, Defence, Politics, Awards, Books and Economy. A regular update of at least 3 months or so is necessary to score good marks. Given below are the topics, on which the questions are asked.
- Elementary Mathematics Syllabus: Given below is the list of topics, on which questions are based on: